Sunday, November 1, 2009

This Is It



Before the movie went into some vault at the Jackson estate, I asked my mom if she wanted to go and see This Is It. Mind you, I am not a huge MJ fan. I liked his music, but I didn't own a single CD of his. I always thought he was a great entertainer, but I found him to be a bit odd. Maybe it was the plastic sugery (that he denies), the children (that he shrouds), or the strange interviews he has given.

Here are my thoughts about this movie:

#1: Shockingly, this is not a movie about just MJ. This movie tells a story about the dancers, back-up singers, directors, choreographers, and producers that were putting together something quite amazing. This was not going to be just an ordinary concert. It was a production. Each person involved had that same look on their face....amazement and gratitude.


#2: There wasn't a single odd thing about MJ. He was humble, he was sweet, he was considerate, he was normal! He was "practicing" in this movie (it was footage from the rehearsals) and yet you felt like he was performing for a crowd with every song. He doesn't do things half-way, that was obvious. The people on the crew and those not in the shot would watch with wide eyes and cheer when he was done. They knew they were watching something special. He thanked his brothers in a part where he sings some of his old stuff from the variety show he did with them. I imagine that was a bittersweet part for the brothers to watch.


#3: This man was 50 years old and he moved and performed like he was 20. His voice hasn't changed. He sounded awesome.


#4: It made me very sad to think about the people involved that never got to see this concert come to be. We lost a genius way too soon and I can't imagine how tragic that was, on so many levels, for all involved.


#5: I loved this movie!


I highly recommend it, you should go see it. Even the little kiddies can go. I was thinking, if Michael Jackson hadn't passed away they would have never made this movie, and I would have never seen this concert. I know I wouldn't have paid the money to go see it. It's sad to think about how great this would have been, it really would have been spectacular. I am glad I got a small glimpse.


2 comments:

Barb S said...

I have been thinking about going...maybe I should do it after reading this!

Cristen said...

What a fantastic review. I heard an interview with one of the ladies who was going to play guitar. She said he was so gentle and positive to everyone! Glad you got to go see it!